Tamayouz Excellence Award is proud to announce the shortlist of finalists for its Dewan Award for Architecture 2021. The shortlist comprises the top 20 submissions received this year for the award’s fourth cycle.
The entries were selected out of 162 submissions from 40 countries received this year. The selection of the finalists was selected by the senior management and design team at Dewan Architects and Engineers based on the criteria set in the award’s brief, which called on participants to submit proposals for a girls’ sanctuary in Iraq.
Commended projects are those that respond to the site’s conditions and offer solutions that are mindful of the existing context, as well as presenting a safe and comfortable space for homeless girls that supports their health, educational and psychosocial needs and helps them to achieve their potential. The shortlisting committee further appreciated an innovative approach among proposals.
The members of the jury panel for the Dewan Award for Architecture 2021 are:
• Professor Jala Makhzoumi Lebanon: Professor of Landscape Design, Academic at the American University of Beirut and co-founder of Unit44.
• Professor Shaaban Taha Benha: Dean Of Shoubra Engineering Faculty – Benha University.
• Professor Wendy Pulla UK: Professor of architecture and urban studies, and director of the Centre for Urban Conflicts Research, University of Cambridge.
• Dr Davide Ponzini Italy: Associate professor of urban planning at Politecnico di Milano and the Director of the Tau-lab research group.
• Nadia Habash Palestine: Head of the Palestinian Engineering Association / Founder of Habash Consulting Engineers / Adjunct Professor Beirzet University.
• Kathy Basheva UK: Director of Basheva Studio in London and RIBA chartered architect.
• Mohamed Al Assam Iraq/UAE: Chairman of Dewan Architects + Engineers.
• Lucinda Anis UK: Urban Researcher and Architect at Foster + Partners
• Ahmed Al-Azzawi Iraq/UK: Award-winning architect and Technical Delivery Manager at Barratt Developments.
• Ahmed Al-Mallak Founding Director of Tamayouz Excellence Award and Academic at Coventry University.
The award is named after Dewan Architects + Engineers, one of the world’s most established and leading architecture firms, particularly to emerge from the Middle East.
The Dewan Award is an international award that seeks to recognise design proposals that respond to local challenges in Iraq. For its inaugural theme in 2018, the award sought proposals for a school in Iraq’s marshlands, in 2019, the theme was the regeneration of Baghdad’s Al Umma Park and in 2020, the theme was Almedina Plaza and Youth complex.
The winner’s announcement will be made following the jury’s meeting in January 2021.
The shortlist of finalists for the Dewan Award for Architecture 2021 are: *All finalists arranged in countries’ alphabetical order.
• Tianzuo Architectural Research Institute (Xing Andong, Li Wanying Gao and Wenjia Bai Xiaotong).
• The A2 Team (Aya Mostafa Amin and Ayman Mohamed Ismail).
• Team Zahra (Eslam Mohamed Shahen, Eslam Elwakel, Abdalla Nabiel, Anas Gaballh, Toqa Hesham and Zainab ahmed).
• Team Al-Domari (Ahmed Fargaly, Mostafa EL Kady, Mirna Abdel Halim, Shahd Dergham and Heba Emad, Nada Afify).
• Mohamed Hesham, Matthew Moheib, Merna Atef, Asmaa Salah and Khalid Abdallah.
• Ahmed Ali Abdelsamad, Nada Abdo Amin and Bassant Hossam Eldin Mohamed.
• Christina Magued Iskander, Mirola Mamdouh Bakhoum, Mohamed Hussein Abouzaid and Muhammad Ashraf El-Gendy, Yaza Safwat Sobhy.
• The A3 Team (Abdallah Hesham, Abdallah Kamel, Amgad El Gwaily, Mahmoud Tarek, Saif Mohamed and Mostafa Hossam).
• Vishal Jayan
• Rania Majed Alzyoud, Hussein Mustafa Sa’ed.
• HQKA Team (Saleen Salem Habash, Haya Abu Baker, Leen Al Khaldi, Rania Abbad, Laith Qadan and Mohammad Hammad).
• Reem Hussein.
• Dana Khaled Ibrahim, Sara Nabeel Mo’adi and Bayan Al Omari.
• JunWei, Zhuo-Ming and Heui Sung
• Annete Priyadarshini, David Einarsson, Hikmatyar Abdul Aziz, Kumaresan Muthukumarasamy, Siyu Lu.
• Amal Chahtour, Emna Laabidi, Meriem Chourou.
United Arab Emirates
• Sanaz Ghiasian
• Agora Architects (Cao Duc Hoa, Giap Thi Minh Trang and Dau Van Phuong).
• Team THP18k6 (Hoang Thu Phuong, Mai Duy Tuyen and Nguyen Tien Huy).
• Team P4K6 (Kieu Tuan Minh, Phan Nhat Minh, Le Van Khanh and Nguyen Ha Vi).
Tamayouz Excellence Award is sponsored by Coventry University, the Iraqi Business Council in Jordan, Kufa – Makiya Charity, Dewan Architects + Engineers, Ayad Al-Tuhafi Architects, Bonair Ltd, Ecodemia.org.uk , the United Nations Global Compact – Iraq Network and Round City.